Friday, August 10, 2018

310 Blog Post 4- Summary of the Play-Going


Now that we have officially seen all of the official plays for the course, I can’t help but arrange a hierarchy of sorts for them in my brain. At the bottom we have As You Like It at the Open Air Theatre, the best thing I can say about that performance is that the theatre was pretty. Just above that show is For King and Country at the Southwark Playhouse, and I am actually sorry about this one because I think the subject material was really very interesting, the execution was just terribly boring, and maybe that means I’m simply not cultured enough to appreciate it, but it was boring. Working the way up the list, third from the bottom is Hamlet at the Globe Theatre, a bad performance of a bad play, but there was at least something happening on stage, and it made sense which automatically puts it ahead of the last two. The next three are all Globe theatre productions, not my favorites but still an interesting experience and some of them were performed very well. Winter’s Tale, As You Like It and Othello, in that order ranged, for me, from acceptable to fun to great respectively. Because they were all performed at the same theatre with similar set designing benefits and detriments, most of my feelings for these productions stem from casting, and script, which were both top notch for Othello. The trio of plays coming in just under my top three all-time favorited favorites for this trip are, in order again, Measure for Measure at the Changeling Theatre, Consent at the Harold Pinter Theatre, and £¥€$ at the Almeida. Measure for Measure was one of those Shakespeare plays that I had never heard of before, let alone read, and strongly disliked at first, but it grew on me, and I thought Changeling Theatre’s performance was creative and interesting. Consent was a wonderful script, and £¥€$ was just something else.
            Alright, I know this sounds like mindless droning, but I’m getting to my point soon. My top three all-time favorited favorite plays for this trip were, in no particular order, Bat Out of Hell at the Dominion Theatre, Flesh and Bone at Soho Theatre, and A Monster Calls at the Old Vic. These three plays were exceptional across the board in scripted content, cast performance, set, staging, and directorial vision. The reason I felt the need to inform everyone of this list is because I have always thought of myself as a woman of the theatre more or less, I haven’t been able to go as often as I would like, but it’s something I truly love and largely why I wanted to go on this trip in the first place. I had always viewed London as a city of theatre, a metropolis of the fine arts where culture flourishes on the stage and even famous film actors find it an honor to perform at the Old Globe Theatre or the Apollo, or where they might have gotten their start in a small black box in a weird part of Southwark reciting Shakespeare above a bar pulsating music.
            I see a play like A Monster Calls and the sheer talent from the performers is astounding, coupled with the precision in their blocking, and the set design which must have required either a lot of skill, a lot of practice, or a lot of prayer because with the amount of acrobatics happening on that stage someone could have, theoretically, gotten very hurt. The choice to make the tree out of rope, and then find ways to use the rope to make sense in other scenes so it wasn’t constantly coming on and off stage was my favorite part because it allowed the play to have a kind of visual reminder all the time that the tree is always and has always been watching as well as provide the practicality of using it for other purposes in other scenes and having it readily available when needed. The cast’s quick changes, and chair positioning was another one of those precise aspects of the play’s staging that when done correctly, as it was, creates the perfect set in each scene with very little practical effort, but would have also required a lot of practice. The sound effects for the tree’s voice were the exact right amount of frightening, intriguing, and demanding attention. The way the production gave life to the story’s yew tree is exactly what is so wonderful about the theatre, it does everything a script can’t and a film doesn’t. It gives voice, and life to the characters on the page, but maintains this intimacy with the audience because it’s live, and because there is always something special gained about being able to look a person in the eye, and have them look back.
            I look at a play like Flesh and Bone and I can remember seeing the spit fly out of Terrence’s mouth and onto Jamal’s face when they argue in the bar scene. I remember talking to Elliot Warren after the play and asking about his inspiration and him telling me that the play was something he started writing about a year ago, and that he just wanted to get a message out about working class people in London today. And I read about it a little more in the opening pages of the program, and seeing how he had conducted auditions in his kitchen just a couple of months before performing it.  And I thought how sketchy it would be, as an actress, to just show up in some random guy’s house expecting to audition for his new play, especially in today’s climate. But that was how much they wanted to act, and he held auditions there because that was the only place where he could and he had to put on this show. I have just found it very uplifting, I guess, to the passion and the drive to create art in the theatre here in London. It is certainly everything I thought it would be, and it’s one of the great gifts London offers the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

310 Blog Post 4- Summary of the Play-Going

Now that we have officially seen all of the official plays for the course, I can’t help but arrange a hierarchy of sorts ...